Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I Love to Learn!

Guess what? I am getting bigger! I am 10 and 1/2 months old now. Mama and Dada can hardly believe that tho I don't know why. Well, anyway, being 10 and 1/2 months old means I am so big and smart now. Maybe soon I will know everything!

The other day I bumped my head on the wall. Mama grabbed me and told me I need to be gentle with my head. So after a few seconds, I crawled back to the wall, knelt up tall on my knees, placed my hands on the wall and s-l-o-w-l-y lowered my head down to touch the wall. Then I looked up at Mama. She was laughing but said that yes, that was being gentle with my head. I do this every time I bump my head.

A week ago when we were in the car headed to Disney, Mama asked me where Starbuck the doggie was. I furrowed my brow and before I knew it I had the answer. I promptly waved my hand bye-bye to Mama.

The other day I was grabbing at Mama's neck for her necklace that is almost always there. When I was littler I thought it was a handle just for me and would hold onto it while we walked around. Well, the other day it wasn't there. "Where is Mama's necklace?" Mama asked me. She expected I'd shrug my little arms, palms facing up as I usually do when questioning where something is. But I knew better. I pointed over to the end table where Mama had left her necklace when she'd taken it off. Of course I don't point yet with one finger. I still use the entire hand.

Today I was trying to say "trees" and lately I have been trying to copy what Mama says. But only 1x and then I leave the word alone. Just sorta trying them on for size I think. Oddly enough, I have not said Mama in several weeks when I was once saying it constantly - much to Mama's chagrin.


I have added a new sign to my repertoire, airplane. I still do "birdy", "more", "milk", and sometimes "doggie", (which by the way I said 2 more times!) Mama is trying to teach me the sign for "please", but I dont' understand why I need to sign "please" when simply signing "more" always gets me what I want. "More" means I want that right? Something is just too complicated for me here... Oh well, and just when I thought I knew everything.

Mama says if I continue to love books as I do now I will learn many many words and be extremely smart. (What does extremely mean?) Well, i do love my books. I spend much of my time pouring thru them. I know which ones I like best and will shove one away and grunt annoyed if it's not the one I want Mama to read. Then I'll sift thru the pile, grab the one I do want and bring it to her. My current favorites are the Corduroy ones, tho I also love Good Night Moon, The Little Red Hen and Gingerbread Baby. Mama reads several to me before bed and naptime and they calm me down so I can sleep. Sometimes I will sit thru 5 or 6 of them. Mama says I have a long attention span. What's attention span? I guess I need to keep on with the books so I can learn these hard words.

Love U ~ Helena Grace

No comments: